Thursday, October 21, 2010

Revising "Facebook"

The day before yesterday, in a fit of rage, I deactivated my Facebook account. I plainly did not want to deal with people, and the nonsense that goes on with Facebook. As much as I hate Facebook, I find myself always checking my notifications for any news. It is truly sad how much people dedicate their lives to Facebook. I love going on Facebook to look at my friends who have gone off to college and keep up with them, but at the same time it get depressing and is not healthy for your sanity. I do not surf around Facebook trying to "make" Facebook friends, I just have my friends who I know from real life as my friends, or mutual friends. I do not stay on Facebook to chit chat with random singles or anyone for that matter. Although I think Facebook is a good gateway for friends, it can be dangerous and potentially deadly. Not only does it kill your social life, because all you know is Facebook and lose you really are, but just like any other website there are cyber bullies who take advantage of their privileges on Facebook to hurt and abuse people. I have seen multiple people bashing girls or boys they may not like on their statuses for absolutely no reason. It makes me sick to my stomach to see the things people say and all I can think is that those people have no self esteem. It just fires me up to see "adults" act like children and be so irresponsible. I pray that one day they will realize how they tortured other people through the internet. We have seen many cases in the news where a lot of the time children use Facebook to bring people down, and the consequences have proved to be deadly. I have even reported "cyber bulling" to Facebook, and sadly the problem was not resolved. Beyond cyber bullying, I also see people who put nonsense on their Facebook pages such as inappropriate words and pictures from the weekend. I do not think these girls and guys realize the damage they are doing to themselves with future employers, and just their reputation. Their parents should need to be monitoring what they say over the internet. I think to myself that employers go through Facebook for potential hires and these people will never get a job in their lifetime if thats the case. Facebook needs to have stricter guidelines on what is allowed to be posted and said over the internet. Words prove to be deadly, and something needs change.

No comments:

Post a Comment