Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Main Goal for this Season

Every time when Christmas season rolls around, I promise myself I will make time to volunteer at the Salvation Army. I have wanted to volunteer for a very long time. Not to put volunteer work on my resume, but just maybe be there to talk to someone who is lonely during the Christmas season. In high school, we had a similar opportunity to make a difference in our community with a day called Spiritual Emphasis Day. On spiritual emphasis day, we would go out into the community, either in Montgomery, or sometimes even as far as Enterprise and the whole school would just do small deeds for organizations or just normal people around the house. I enjoyed this day because you were surrounded by a whole group of people who's main goal was to help out another person, and enjoy themselves while doing it. Last year, my group went to..I cannot remember the name, but it was a home for children with severe handicaps, and we just sat around and had school with them, played games, and spent quality time with them. It opens your eyes to see a larger world and different aspects of people so you aren't so oblivious to the problems around you. We also helped around the school, hanging decorations for the holidays, and wrapping gifts. Spiritual emphasis day is probably the best idea ACA has ever had, and I pray everyone continues getting a good experience out of it. But I do pray as well that I will make time to go to the Salvation army and volunteer, either hanging out with everyone, or passing out Christmas dinner, hopefully putting a smile on one persons face.

No comments:

Post a Comment